Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Script (Rough Draft)



What’s Eating the Runaways?  

Gianni says a voice-over monologue while laying in bed.  

Gianni : Everyday I wake up, get dressed and do the same mundane, repetitive nonsense. I know this  applies to most people, but some people are blissful repeating the same routine everyday because  they’re content with who they are in the world. This doesn’t apply to me though. I’ve never felt  like I belonged anywhere. Everyday there’s this constant, incessant nagging feeling that I’m  meant to be somewhere else...someone else. I’m sick of it and I know I can’t stay here much  longer.  

He gets up. Title of film shows. Insert shots of posters he has around his room. Begins to walk  outside. Credits roll while he’s walking to go into his mailbox.  

He opens the mailbox and finds a postcard/letter from his biological father saying happy  birthday. He reads the letter, tediously.  

Gianni : What? (silently) (he looks up in thought)  

Cuts to him walking through his house’s hallway in a hurry, trying to find his mother and  answers. Walks into his mother’s bedroom and opens the door intensely.  

Gianni : (confused, angry) Mom, what’s this? (holds up letter/postcard)  

Lucy : What’s what?  

Gianni : Can you not see? This letter?! (throws letter to Lucy)  

She grabs it, reads it. She looks up, shocked.  

Lucy : Um…  

Gianni : “Ummm” No, mom. Explain. What the hell is this?! This guy is saying he’s my dad?! Do  you know who this is?! Who’s this Gianni guy?! You know him?!  

Lucy : Umm...look...Gianni...  

Gianni : Oh my god, so it’s true. That’s why Edward has always been so distant with me, huh?!  That’s why I’ve never related to him or bonded with him?! That’s why you barely let me talk to him?! That’s why he treats me like trash?! He’s never cared about me? Why didn’t you tell me?! 

Why didn’t you tell me he wasn’t my real dad?! I always felt like there was something wrong  with me and you never even bothered to tell me the truth!  

Lucy : Gianni, Gianni...look I’m sorry honey. Gianni, was never...he...I 

Gianni : Don’t “honey” me, mom. You never cared.  

Gianni walks away from mom and walks into the kitchen to find his little brother Lucas, eating  cereal.  

Lucas : What’s wrong with mom?  

Gianni : Nothing, I’ll tell you later. Pack your bags.  

Lucas : Huh?  

Gianni : I said, pack your bags we’re leaving.  

Lucas : (cereal in his mouth) To where?  

Gianni : New York.  

Lucas looks at his brother questionably, but agrees.  

Cuts to various shots of them packing. They walk out of the house. Lucas puts the bags in the  trunk, Gianni is already in the driver seat. Lucas walks over to the passenger seat and sits. Looks at his brother Gianni.  

Lucas : So...what’s in New York?  

Gianni : The truth.  

Drives away. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell...

  My CCR