Thursday, February 25, 2021

Final Script (Revised)



 

What’s Eating the Runaways? 


Gianni says a voice-over monologue while laying in bed. 


Gianni: Everyday I wake up, get dressed and do the same mundane, repetitive nonsense. I know this applies to most people, but some people are blissful repeating the same routine everyday because they’re content with who they are in the world. This doesn’t apply to me though. I’ve never felt like I belonged anywhere. Everyday there’s this constant, incessant nagging feeling that I’m meant to be somewhere else...someone else. I’m sick of it and I know I can’t stay here much longer. 


He gets up. Title of film shows. Insert shots of posters he has around his room. Begins to walk outside. Credits roll while he’s walking to go into his mailbox. 


He opens the mailbox and finds a postcard/letter from his biological father saying happy birthday. He reads the letter, tediously. 


Gianni(silently & confused) (he looks up in thought) 


Cuts to him walking through his house’s hallway in a hurry, trying to find his mother and answers. Walks into his mother’s bedroom and opens the door intensely. 


Gianni: (confused, angry) Mom, what’s this? (holds up letter/postcard) 


Lucy: What’s what? 


Gianni: Can you not see? This letter?! (throws letter to Lucy) 


She grabs it, reads it. She looks up, shocked. 


Lucy: Oh…


Gianni: “Oh?” That’s it? What the hell is that supposed to me? This “Gianni” guy comes out of left field claiming to be my father and all I get is an “oh”? Explain yourself, mom. 


Lucy: Gianni...look it doesn’t matter that he’s your father, ok? He’s not here, never was, but I have been here, so just forget about it. 


Gianni: Oh my god, so it’s true. That’s why Eddy always had something against me. That’s why we never get along, he’s not even my blood and he never tried to seem like it. He’s never cared about me. And him not being my dad was his excuse to treat me like trash. (angry) Why didn’t you tell me, huh ma?! If you can’t be honest with yourself about this crappy life you live with a worthless drunk...fine. But, you could at least be honest with your son. Hell, maybe I’m not even your son! Maybe I have a different mom somewhere in the middle of Florida.


Lucy: What do you mean? Of course you’re my son! Of course I’m your mother! Don’t be ridiculous, honey.


Gianni: Don’t “honey” me, mom. You never cared. And you know? I always felt like there was something wrong with me, like I was missing something. Turns out I was missing the truth, because you never bothered to tell me.


Gianni walks away from mom and walks into the kitchen to find his little brother Lucas, eating cereal.

*Note, everything here is subject to change when time comes to filming*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farewell...

  My CCR